Monday, October 5, 2009

I want my kitchen table back! Reason #3

For anyone wondering what it is really like to run for political office, I will tell you: It's messy. And I don't mean messy in the sense of rumors, innuendos, name-calling, and that sort of thing. I mean your house gets messy! As I sit at the only corner of my kitchen table that isn't covered with papers, I am looking at: my husband's campaign letterhead, campaign envelopes, MapQuest directions on how to get to someone's house who wants a Fayles sign in her yard, my "to do" stack, his "to do" stack, newspaper clippings of articles of importance, and my son's MP3 player. (The latter has nothing to do with the campaign, but it is on the kitchen table. I hope he retrieves it before it is buried and forever lost.)

One of the kitchen walls is covered with maps of different voting precincts, which does not fit into the "Italian Kitchen" vibe I was aiming for when we redecorated.

The rest of the kitchen is filled with stuff that is not campaign-related but is there because I have no time to put it away since I'm busy scheduling volunteers, drafting articles, sending thank-you letters and managing campaign finances.

This is why we do most of our eating in the family room. This is why I have no Halloween decorations up. This is why we hold no campaign events in our home: I would kill myself trying to clean it up. We have let a volunteer or two into the front room, but only because we had no choice. (I would have left them standing on the doorstep--or better yet, sitting in their car--while we brought information out to them, but my husband said that would be rude.)

There are 29 days left until the election. Twenty-nine days until I get my kitchen back. Which brings me to Reason #3 of why you should vote for my husband for mayor --do you REALLY want me to go through all this for nothing?

No comments:

Post a Comment